As Paddle Australia (formerly Australian Canoeing) qualified instructors, we have undergone extensive training and assessment to ensure that not only do we have extensive paddling knowledge, but also the effective ability to impart our knowledge, experience and proper tuition and techniques to others.
As the peak National body, Paddle Australia reassess their instructors and their credentials on a regular basis, to ensure anyone with their qualifications remains fit to teach and conduct business in associated industries.
To maintain qualifications, guides and instructors must have recent relevant experience, keep up to date on current techniques and industry best practice and hold current first aid qualifications.
We both hold Paddle Australia awarded qualifications to teach skills in kayak and canoe in flatwater or whitewater and sea kayaking and have been engaged in instruction and tour leading in a variety of roles and situations including regular instruction for canoe club members, guiding tour groups in commercial operations, guiding school groups in flat and white water environments, facilitation of Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme expeditions, instruction and assessment of Sport and Recreation and Department of Education Staff and private paddling tuition.
With water sport activities increasing throughout Australia, we are keen to see people take to the water with appropriate skills to enable them to have many years of safe, enjoyable paddling. Even those who thought they were experienced enough have taken part in our courses and commented on how much more they have learnt. We believe that everyone can always improve their skills and it is rare for any of us to meet an experienced and skilled paddler from whom you can't learn something.
Whether you’re a beginner, wanting a refresher after a break from paddling or preparing for a long-distance paddling adventure, we can assist with personalised tuition, tailored to your requirements.
Our tuition can assist you with:
- Choosing the best boat and equipment for your needs
- Choosing the right paddling locations to suit your equipment and skill levels
- Interpreting charts and maps
- Reading and understanding weather and tide forecasts and their potential impact on your trip
- Knowing the rules of the waterways
- Knowing what you need to take for your planned trip
- Selecting the right clothing and protection from the elements
- Learning how to safely enter and exit your boat
- Paddling techniques to gain competence in boat control and the most efficient stroke techniques with minimum effort and risk of injury
- Turning your boat as well as how to move forward, backward and sideways
- Stopping in an emergency or to avoid a collision
- Knowing what to do in the event of a capsize to help yourself and others
- Planning multi-day paddling tours
- Sharpening your skills prior to kayaking expeditions in Antarctica or the Arctic, including how to enter and exit the kayak from a zodiac
Whether you are a novice, experienced or returning to the sport after time away, we can adapt instruction to suit your specific needs.
- Private or small group lessons can be arranged.
- Learn using your own gear or let us provide it for you.
- Learn at a location and pace that suits you and your specific training requirements to gain the most out of your kayaking experience
To start your adventures, please Contact us and let us help you get the most enjoyment out of what will hopefully be a lifelong love of paddling.